Father Mistakenly Burns Five-Year-Old Son To Death In Edo State

burnt apartment

Tragedy struck in Benin yesterday as a yet-to-be-identified boy has been burnt to death in Ikpoba-Okha Local Government Area of Edo State.

The incident occurred on Ijorgbor Street, off Upper Sokponba Road, Benin.

According to reports, the victim, said to be five years old, and his brother had been locked inside the room by their father, who lit a stove.

Their father was said to have gone out to purchase some items when the fire started.

It was learnt that neighbours watched helplessly as the victim cried for help in vain until he died in the inferno.

A source said one of the sympathisers managed to break through the burglar-proof bars of one of the windows to rescue the victim’s brother.

He was later said to have been rushed to a hospital for treatment.

But the intensity of the inferno was said to have prevented rescuers from getting to the deceased, who was burnt beyond recognition.

The source said, “The mother of the kids went out, but their father was around. He went out to buy something and locked them inside.

“Before he could return, the fire had already engulfed the building. One of the children was rescued, but the other was burnt beyond recognition.”

A resident of the area, who gave his name as Osamudiamen Edobor, expressed shock over the incident.

“They had a stove and a generator in that room. The man was cooking in the room. It is sad that one of the children died,”Edobor added.

The Police Public Relations Officer, Moses Nkombe, could not be reached for comments.

He had also yet to respond to a text message sent to him as of the time of filing this report.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: