Lawyer and Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN), Olisa Agbakoba, has said that he supports the decision of the presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Atiku Abubakar, to go to court.
Agbakoba had earlier adviced to the former vice-president not to go to court to challenge the result of the election.
He has now stated that he gave the advice because of the “uphill task” he would face following the suspension of the chief justice of Nigeria, Walter Onnoghen.
In a statement on Wednesday, Agbakoba said apart from the suspension of Onnoghen, he is also worried that no presidential election result has ever been nullified in the court in Nigeria’s democracy.
He also said he never predicted that Atiku will lose at the presidential election petition tribunal.
“My initial decision to charge Former Vice President, Atiku Abubakar not to go to court is based on the fact that President Muhammadu Buhari has subverted the Supreme Court by the removal of the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Hon. Justice Walter Onnoghen and the appointment of the Acting Chief Justice of Nigeria,” he said.
“As one of Nigeria’s experienced Election Petition lawyers, I know that the burden of proof to succeed in an Election Petition is unfairly huge. We first have to prove that there are electoral irregularities and in my view, once you prove this, you should succeed.
“Unfortunately, even if you prove electoral irregularities you will have to show how that affected the results of the Election. Remember that the gap between Former Vice President, Atiku Abubakar and President Muhammadu Buhari is about 4 million votes.
“It is clear to me that the Presidential Election results were manifestly riddled with electoral irregularities. Now that Former Vice President, Atiku Abubakar has approached the Court, it is important to emphasize that he is constitutionally entitled to do so. My personal advice has become irrelevant. I fully support and wish Former Vice President, Atiku Abubakar every success.”